Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Scary Tuesday

It was great to see everyone in Colorado, especially my best friend growing up, Katie. Her wedding and reception were on Saturday, and I was able to go to both.

Sunday, I got to see Doug again, which was very nice. We missed each other! We both flew into the Salt Lake airport at 10:30. Monday, we both went to work, and I had an OB appointment. She said I gained TEN pounds in the last month, how embarrassing! She didn't sound too concerned though, since I have only gained 16 pounds my whole pregnancy now.

On Tuesday, I woke up, went to work, and had some Honey Nut Cheerios. 45 minutes later, I was lightheaded, sweating, and had trouble breathing. I was right in the middle of meeting with my boss, and finally told her that I thought something was wrong. I told her my symptoms, and she had me lay down on her floor. She called my OB nurse, who said to take me to the hospital. At this point, my feet were tingly, and my hands felt numb. Scary! She called Doug, who met us there. Doug was walking in the same time as us, so she handed me over. I stated crying because I was scared, I didn't know what was happening. They checked me in and started monitoring the baby's heart rate and my contractions, and told me that my body was trying to regulate the contractions, and they didn't know why. They hooked me up to an IV (which they had to poke me twice, thanks), and drew some blood. A couple hours later, they told me that my blood sugar was low, and that's probably what was causing my symptoms. My IV bag was changed to something that had sugar in it, and minutes later, my contractions stopped. Thank goodness, I was afraid they'd have to do a C-section, and I'm only at 29 weeks! After 1 1/2 regular IV bags, the bag with some sort of sugar liquid in it, and 4 1/2 hours later, I was released. They said I need to eat better, and that I need to come back if I start having contractions regularly again. I'm so glad they were able to stop the contractions, I was so scared!
I came home and took it easy the rest of the night, and was back at work today. No more drama until at least 36 weeks please, baby, and I'll start eating better! Deal?

2 comments:

The Bluths said...

Gosh that is scary! I remember being up at school when I was pregnant and thinking how the baby could survive if I had it then and how unprepared I would be cuz I was still in school. By the time I got to Minnesota and was done with school I was ready to have him at any moment. Makes me think you'll have him early if this happened to you. Nothing like that happened to me. We had to kick him out or he'd probably set up camp for a while longer! :)

Kakes said...

Hey there, I just wanted you to know that I think you are such a darling pregnant person!!