Monday, October 29, 2007

36 Week Doctor Appointment

Today was my 36-week check-up with my doctor. As some of you know, I have just been super itchy on mostly my stomach the last couple weeks, with a rash appearing, then disappearing, then reappearing, since I started the third trimester. Because of this, I have seen my OB, my family doctor, and a dermatologist. I have been recommended several different medications, with nothing prevailing thus far. My OB recommended a blood test last week to check to see if I had cholestasis of pregnancy. This is a liver disease that goes away within the first few days after delivery. She didn't test me for this awhile ago because a rash isn't normally associated with this.
She got the test results back, and told me that I do have cholestasis of pregnancy. At first, I just thought, "Great. Well I'll just keeping getting itchier and itchier until I deliver... it could be worse." But then, she told me that there are risks with this, including stillbirths. Of course, then I started freaking out. I didn't want to break down in her office, so I was on the verge of tears the rest of the appointment.
Because of this, I have to go have NST's (nonstress tests) at the hospital every week now. They'll do ultrasounds to measure the amniotic fluid, and will monitor the baby's heart rate. I will most likely be induced now, too. Having an induction before 40 weeks will obviously be better for the baby, as the longer he's inside me, the more risks he has of his own liver not functioning properly, and having complications. The only relief I've found for all this itching is with anti-itch creams and oatmeal baths, and the rash has spread to my back, chest, and is now starting on my arms.
I go to the hospital for the first NST tomorrow at 1:30, so we'll see how that goes. It sounds like I just have to lie there for 30-45 minutes while they monitor, so it shouldn't be too bad. We'll see how it goes!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm so sorry! Take it easy girl! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Guess we could have a baby soon huh?

Rachel and Brady said...

Wow, that's a little scary, I'm sorry! I'm sure the doctors will take good care of you and the baby though, so don't worry too much :o) Let me know when you're free to get together and we'll see what we can work out.

Justin and Heidi Nelson said...

We will be praying for you. Everything is going to be fine. Lots of love, justin and heidi