Monday, September 22, 2008

It's A Long Story To Go With My Long Day

Let me say: Today is just one of those days where you wish you had an extra set of hands.

Jack woke up with a runny nose today, which made me think he has a cold. He's been really clingy the last few days, so I thought we'd just have to tough it out. So, this afternoon, we needed to run to the grocery store for some necessities (bread, milk, etc.) Have you ever been somewhere and hear a screaming child, and just think, "Gol, why would you bring your kid out during naptime" or, "Shut your kid up, that's so annoying!" Well, today I was the parent of that child. A couple minutes after I got there, Jack just starts crying. Uncontrollably. For the rest of the time. He was reaching for me in the cart, so I took him out (which usually comforts him enough.) He's in my arms, screaming and crying at this point while I'm rushing around the store, just going for the bare essentials at this point. I run over to the pharmacy, where I ask the pharmicist if there's anything I can give my screaming infant for a cold. He answers me in a normal voice, so I can't hear a word he's saying since Jack is crying into my ear. It's a good thing I could read his lips, where he tells me to call my pediatrician. Thanks, dude. Now I have one hand holding Jack, and one hand pushing the cart, making a mad dash to the checkout. At this point, I feel so bad for him because I know he doesn't feel well, and there's nothing I can do to help him! On top of that, I'm a little embarrassed because my kid is hysterical, and everyone is staring at me.

I make it to the checkout, where every line has like two people in front of me already. As soon as I pull into the line, all three women in front of me (including the cashier) are staring at me and my screaming baby. I'm thinking, "I'm so sorry, I'm trying to get out of here!" And I think they're all glaring at me because of Jack. The woman directly in front of me comes over and says, "Oh, he's having a hard day!"
I say, "Yeah, I think he's sick."
The woman in front of her says, "Did you notice he's tugging on his ears?"
"Yes, I'm going to call the doctor as soon as I'm out of here and can put him down."
The woman in front of me comes over to me and says, "Can I help you out?" and she starts loading my groceries onto the conveyer. Of course, then I start crying because I'm so overwhelmed, and I'm so grateful that this woman chose to help me out instead of just roll her eyes at a screaming child. She says, "I hate when they don't feel good. It's like there's nothing you can do for them."
I say, "Yeah, I feel pretty helpless right now." Once the lady in front of her checked out, she asked the cashier if I could go in front of her, and she let me cut in front of her. I'm so thankful for that woman for helping me out, whoever you were! That really touched me and made my day.
People were staring at me the rest of the journey out of the store, but whatever. I went out and called the doctor, and we were able to go right in. He doesn't have an ear infection, but he has a bug where his throat will be sore for like the next week, and will have a runny and stuffy nose to go along with it. Poor kid. At least I know what's going on now. All I can give him is some Motrin, but that should comfort him somewhat.

13 comments:

M&A said...

I'm sorry! I hope he feels better! When I was reading your story I started to cry when the lady helped you! :)

Steph said...

I'm glad there are people who look out for you, even when they don't know you! I hope Jack feels better soon!!

Jessica said...

Toni,

I just came across your blog through Melinda's. You're one heck of an awesome mom to Jack!! Your blog just amazes me and the love you have for your adorable family is priceless. I just wanted to drop a comment by.

Jessica U.

Kakes said...

That is really cool! It's those kind of moments when you just want to "Pass it Forward" you know. Good read, sad, but funny too. :)

Ryan and Cecily said...

Toni, I'm so sorry you had such a stressful day!! I hope Jack feels better soon. love ya!

Rachel and Brady said...

Oh poor little Jack! Poor you too, moments like that are so stressful! I'm glad someone helped you out. I can say that I'm definitely not looking forward to that, but I'm pretty sure every mom goes through it! Sounds like you handled it well. Good luck this next week as Jack tries to recover.

Jason, Janaca, and Jordan said...

I feel for you! It's sad that most people just look at you and act annoyed when there is nothing you can do. I'm glad that woman helped you out! Hopefully he feels better quick and that it's not too rough of a week for you guys.

Christine said...

Poor little guy! He is so sweet, I just want him!

kalls&joel said...

Oh man, that must have been rough. What a sweet lady though. that made me want to cry. I hope jack gets better soon!

Janelle said...

Poor Jack! I hope he is feeling better. I'll make sure to be really nice to the next mom I see with a crying and sick baby.

Melinda said...

Ah dang it, Toni, you should have called me, I would have come to help! I'm so glad that those women were so nice, every once in a while you get those kinds of random acts of kindness and it makes your day better. I hope you and Jack feel better ASAP!

Eliza Brock said...

oh that was so nice of her to help you out.

Eliza Brock said...

oh that was so nice of her to help you out.