Monday, October 13, 2008

In Loving Memory

Richard Owen Thornton

Richard and Jack

Friday evening was Doug's grandpa's viewing, and Saturday was the funeral and luncheon. Doug's grandpa was such a special man. Everyone in the funeral kept saying how he was always serving. There was even a story by someone who said that instead of going to home teach, and asking, "Is there anything we can do for you?", he would be proactive and say, "I noticed your front porch light is out. My partner will go change it for you while I teach the lesson." He would find a way to help where he could. He had even been serving at the cannery a few hours before he passed away. You rarely hear of people serving so much anymore these days, which is sad. It was really inspiring to me to try and help others as often as possible.

The service was beautiful, and there was a lunch immediately following the cemetary. I went and got Jack at our neighbor's, Amber and Clayton's, and came back with him. We were able to visit with all of the Thornton aunts, uncles, and cousins. The lunch was right during his afternoon nap, so he was very cranky. This is him on the way home.

Doug's grandpa's wife, Marie, is also one of the sweetest, most generous people I have ever met. She's always been so kind and genuine to me, and is always offering to help out wherever she can. Doug never comes home empty-handed from their house. He always has fresh flowers, jams, or vegetables from their garden whenever he comes back from their home. They had eight children together, and another three that passed away as babies. I can't even imagine losing my sweetheart or children, I mean, that has to be one of the hardest things we'll ever have to go through in this life. I wish Marie all the love and comfort she needs at this time.

2 comments:

Ryan and Cecily said...

I'm sorry to hear Doug's Grandpa passed away. :( That is always a sad time. My condolences to you both...

Eliza Brock said...

Sorry about doug's grandpa. We love you guys....big hugs.