Monday, November 03, 2008

Allergic Reaction



I know I owe a post for Halloween and Jack's birthday, but I'm down and out on the couch today, and don't feel like going upstairs to turn on the computer and upload the pictures. Sorry, those are going to have to wait a few days.

So, a week ago today, I had my first appointment at my new OB office. Since we have different insurance this time around, I had to switch OB's, which I wasn't too happy about. Anyway, at my appointment last week, I had to do the usual urine sample and blood work, and then just met with my OB's assistant to get my pregnancy history. So I don't even get to meet the guy until 12 weeks along! Anyway, they called me last Wednesday and told me that they found a staph infection in the urine culture, and that I had to take antibiotics (Keflex) for a week to make sure it went completely away.

On the morning of Jack's party (Saturday), which was day 4 of the medication, I woke up to a rash all over my abdomen. It didn't itch too much yet, but I could tell something was wrong. I talked to my mom after Jack's party, where she recommended I call the pharmicist to see if it's a reaction to the medication. Turns out, it's an allergic reaction, and if my throat starts closing up too, I'm to go straight to the ER for an IV of steroids. So I immediately stopped taking the medication, and my doctor told me to take 2 Benadryl every 6 hours, and put HydroCortisone cream on the rash.

Here I am 48 hours after the rash appeared, and it hasn't spread, but has sure filled in everywhere. Doug told me I just look like I have a sunburn. The last two nights, I haven't been able to sleep much because it itches SO bad! I laid awake last night between 9:30 and 12:30, trying so hard to sleep. Finally at 12:30, I went downstairs and got an ice bag and numbed my entire abdomen. After a half hour of numbing, I was FINALLY able to sleep off and on for 5 hours, numbing myself again every couple hours in between. Ugh, I don't think I've ever been so uncomfortable in my whole life! The only relief I have is lying on the couch with an ice pack. Doug has been so wonderful this weekend tending Jack and making me food. I don't know what I'd be doing without him!

I went back to the doctor again today to leave another sample. They have to see if the infection is gone all the way after only 4 days being on the medication. I also met with a nurse, asking her if there's ANYTHING they can give me for the itching, as it's unbearable at this point. Even a sleep aid at night would be a miracle, since Benadryl isn't quite doing the trick. Of course, she called me back after speaking with the doctor, and they gave me the news that there's nothing they can do for me. I just have to keep taking the Benadryl and HydroCortisone cream. Gee, thanks. So, having a touch of morning sickness, itching worse than I ever have, and being sedated on Benadryl sure makes a girl useless. Poor Jack, he's going to think I don't want to play with him anymore! If the rash doesn't start to clear up in 2-3 days, I have to go back to the doctor. Ugh, someday I'll have an easy pregnancy, right?

7 comments:

Cee Cee said...

Poor baby! I have had allergic reactions just like that...I can't vouch for how miserable you are. So sorry. Hope you feel better soon!

Cee Cee said...

On the above comment...I meant "CAN" vouch, not "can't". Sorry...I blame lack of sleep:D

Weston and Karen said...

Toni, I'm so sorry about all of that. It sounds miserable. I am excited to see pictures of Jack's birthday though! Hope you were at least able to enjoy his big day

The Bluths said...

That sounds horrible! Hopefully it goes away soon!

Jason, Janaca, and Jordan said...

I hope you feel better soon! It sounds absolutely awful, plus being prego, and watching your little guy. Good luck!

Ryan and Cecily said...

Oh no! That is really awful. Good luck. I hope it goes away in the 2-3 days for your sake...and Jack's sake!

Melinda said...

Poor TONI! I'm so sorry! You should have said something on Saturday, I would have done more for you (cleaning and such). Ick... Call me if you need ANYRHING! Feel better soon.