Friday, November 07, 2008

Happy 1st Birthday, Jack!

We had Jack's birthday party the day after Halloween, which was a day earlier than his actual birthday. With so much going on that morning, we really didn't get things going until 12:30, and the party was supposed to start at 12. Thanks so much to all my wonderful friends for helping me out! You really helped take a lot of stress off my shoulders. Can I just say that I have the best friends?

Jack's party theme was construction. To go along with that, we had a lunch that a construction worker might have. The lunch menu included chips, pasta salad, soda, and of course, the largest sub sandwiches around.


Don't worry, I saved a little for the other guests. But a pregnant woman's gotta eat, right? We also had a hard hat for the guests, and a little nail tool belt for Jack (which he didn't wear either for very long.) After lunch, we played a round of pin the tail on the donkey, where Kevin, Doug's dad, won the prize of a dart gun. We also had a game where you had to guess how many peanut M&M's were in a bowl. I counted out 650 the night before. Doug's dad won that game, too! But he was generous enough to give his loot to second place (Ryan and Cecily.) I hope you guys didn't eat all those in one sitting!

Jack wasn't totally into opening his presents yet, but I'm sure he'll enjoy it next year. Here he is opening a present from his grandma and grandpa Nelson. We've heard awesome things about this toy, and it looks like fun, but Jack is afraid of the noise it makes, so he goes running when you turn it on. What a funny kid!
Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to charge our camera battery before the party, so we didn't get a picture of him enjoying his big present from mommy and daddy, which is a little 4-wheeler that he can scoot along on (Christy, you'll have to send me your pics!) For now, he just enjoys pushing it around the tile and pushing the buttons.

So, about that birthday cake... I have NEVER seen nor heard of a 1-year old not just going at their cake! This kid was as neat as could be! Doug's mom did an awesome job with both cakes.


Here he is at first glance, just checking it out first.
And here's about 5 minutes into it...


He just kept licking the icing off, and eventually, those chocolate wheels. But that's about it! He even whined when he got too much on his hands. Happy birthday, Jack! We love you so much and can't imagine our lives without you.


Allergic reaction update: I saw my OB/GYN yesterday after being on steroids for 3 days to get rid of the rash, and it hasn't changed at all. I'm still numbing my stomach with ice every 2-3 hours at night. Awesome. He didn't know what else to do, so he did some lab work, and has set me up to go see a dermatologist today. Ugh, please help me! This itches like CRAZY!! And thanks again Melinda, for coming over the other night and bringing me food. Jack loved your fish faces, and having someone actually play with him!

4 comments:

Jason, Janaca, and Jordan said...

What a cutie you have! That's so funny about the cake. Jordan did the exact same thing though. He wouldn't dive in at all! Strange. Well looks like the party was a hit!

Melinda said...

You are so welcome Toni! I loved making fish faces and playing with Jack, anytime!

Jessica said...

Jack is such a growing tyke! AH, Melinda is so ready to be a mommy too.
Toni I hope your itchiness starts to disappear!! Crossing my fingers for ya.

Kakes said...

Toni! You are such a good mom. What a creative idea...construction party. I love it! My little nephew was the same way with his cake. I was so surprised to see a little 1 year old be so delicate (?) with the cake. So, little Jack is definitely not alone with being tidy. :)