Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Can't I Just Have a Normal Pregnancy?* Updated

So, I don't think I take the opportunity too often to complain on my blog... please correct me if I'm wrong. Today, I'm going to do just that. So if you don't feel like hearing me complain about my health problems, stop reading now.

I'm sure everyone remembers hearing about that lovely rash bestowed upon my stomach about a month ago. I woke up last Sunday morning, and the exact same rash was starting to appear. I called my OB on Monday, who told me to take Benadryl and Hydrocortisone cream for it. Um, yeah right! I'm not going to be loaded up on Benadryl all day while I'm watching a 13-month old. That's just not going to happen. Plus neither one of those things helped a darn the last time around. Of course, I kept this response to myself and just replied, "Okay." They also told me to call the dermatologist. So I called her, and she wanted me to come in so she could biopsy it. Eek! That sounds painful! I said, "Or..." And she said, "Or you can keep using that steroid cream and see if it goes away. But if it changes or gets worse, I'll need you to come in for a biopsy."

Sure enough, it got worse on Tuesday, where it started appearing on my arms between my elbows and shoulders. I called her and we scheduled the biopsy for today. When I asked what they do, her assistant replied, "Oh, we just numb you up and take some skin, a smaller amount than a pencil eraser, and then we give you a stitch or two. It's really not a big deal."

Let me stop you right there...

NOT A BIG DEAL?! We're talking about something that requires stitches! As someone who's never had stitches, I was a little devastated, but remained nonchalant the rest of the conversation. And then, of course, when Doug called a half hour later, I'm hysterical, telling him how scared I am for this "operation"! Yes, I know, it's probably not a big deal, but you can't expect a pregnant person to control her emotions, now can you? It's a good thing he's patient with me in those situations.

So here I am, still a little scared and nervous for the procedure today. The itching has come back in full force as of last night, which would probably explain why I'm so tired today. The biopsy is probably worth it so they can figure out what's going on... assuming they CAN figure out what's going on. We'll see what happens.

*Updated at 4:00 PM Wednesday: It turns out they didn't have to do the biopsy after all. YAY! My dermatologist thinks it just looks like an irritant on my skin, so I'm sticking with the cream, and trying a different laundry detergent. She also gave me a lotion to help with the itching. I hope something works!

9 comments:

Ryan and Cecily said...

Toni, I'm sorry!!! If it's any consolation, you won't be able to feel them do the biopsy or stitches. What a rotten day! I hope all goes well and that the biopsy actually does give you some answers!

Terry and Melissa Rees said...

Oh honey, my pregnancy sucked too. I just wanted to slap all those girls who said they never got sick! I didn't know it was possible to be naseauted for 9 months straight but it was worth it!

Weston and Karen said...

Wow, I would freak out if I heard the word biopsy. I am the biggest chicken ever and that word sounds painful. but I'm glad you didn't have to get one. And hopefully you will feel better soon.

Kakes said...

Goodness gracious! I hope you are feeling better. I am glad you didn't have to go "under the knife"! You are hilarious.

Melinda said...

AH! Why does pregnancy not agree with you!?! At least you get something awfully cute when you're done, right? You will have to call me if you need ANYTHING!

The Bluths said...

I had some weird rash under my breasts and they just took a little scalpel and scrapped the skin onto a dish so they could examine it. And by "scrape" I mean just that, no skin was broken, I didn't bleed and it didn't hurt. But maybe yours would have to be deeper?

Eliza Brock said...

SO glad they didn't have to do the biopsy. hopefully that will help changing your detergent. I love you!!

Shannon said...

Maybe you're just allergic to being pregnant! I'm sorry! If you need any help let me know. Jack and Keagan are not that far apart in age and he doesn't really have any boys that he plays with. All the kids his age that we know are girls! Feel better!

Clayton & Amber said...

Toni, I would worry just like you! I would be scared too! I'm so glad that they didn't have to do the biopsy. I hope something helps you soon. Total bummer. My sister has somthing very similar, but it never spread more than just her arms. Weird. Pregnancy doesn't always make the best of us does it?!