Monday, January 12, 2009

And I Thought Being Itchy Was Miserable...

So, here I am at my parent's house on vacation with Jack, and I find myself sitting down to blog. Lame? I think so. Anyhow, I have a lot to update, and didn't want anything else to slip by before I get this written. Also, I have edited this to the G version, since I can't stand going to blogs and looking at kids puking or whatever (although, I must admist Cee Cee, yours was pretty good.) Sick! And sorry if I sound like I'm complaining. I just wanted everyone to know why I've been MIA the last week, and also wanted to get it written down for the journal that I make this into at the end of each year.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, I had a really bad sinus headache. You know, the kind where your head kills every time you sit down, lay down, bend over, turn sideways, stand up, etc. I called the OB Tuesday afternoon, and they said to just try some Claritin-D or Sudafed. I did try some Claritin-D, and it kept me up all night on Tuesday night. Sweet. Wednesday night, I tried taking some Tylenol Cold, and woke up at about 2 AM, and was totally sick until about 4:30. I finally fell asleep around 5:30 again, so that was a lousy night.

Doug stayed home from work with us on Thursday to take care of us, while I lay sick to my stomach half the day in bed. Meanwhile, my sinus headache lingered somewhere in the background. At about 4 PM, I started feeling really sick again, but didn't get really sick until 7:30. From 7:30 to 11 PM, I was throwing up every half hour. No, not fun. I called the on-call doctor about 10:00 and said I was worried about getting dehydrated, since I read in my "What To Expect When You're Expecting" book that you can get dehydrated really fast if you're throwing up. The OB said they like to wait 12-24 hours of you being sick before they do anything, and to call the office back in the morning and see what they say. Needless to say, another lousy night, with my parents heading into town on Friday.

I called their office Friday morning, where they had me come in to check to see if I was dehydrated. They call me back to a room, and say, "Well, you're DEFINITELY dehydrated! We want you to go to the hospital to do some IV therapy, and they'll hydrate you. They'll also give you some anti-nausea medication." Ahh, those words were so heavenly! The baby would be okay, plus I wouldn't feel so sick anymore! She also prescribed me some anti-nausea pills to take with me on my trip, and some meds for a sinus infection. This nurse was the best I've ever dealt with! Very rarely do I come across someone where I can say, "This is the problem." And without having to do 100 tests, they say, "Okay, here's a Rx." Doug took me to my hydration appointment while his parents came and got Jack. The hydration made me a little sleepy, and only made my nausea go away a little bit. But I was SO glad to see my parents when I got back! There's nothing like having your mom come and help take care of you when you're that sick, and I don't get that opportunity very often. I was a little annoyed when our power went out around 9:30 PM for FOURTEEN hours! It got so cold in our house, I think down to 50 degrees by morning. Brrr! Anyone else experience that problem? Ugh.

Saturday, I took my anti-nausea pills at breakfast and lunch, and felt so dizzy by the afternoon, I was totally useless. I took a nap, and could barely eat one piece of pizza for dinner before going back to the couch to just lay there with my eyes closed. I swear, I felt like I was on so many drugs, I barely knew what was going on. It was pretty much a scary feeling, and I thought I'd never recover. My dad and Doug gave me a blessing Saturday night, and I felt so much better Sunday morning! I still felt really weak, but not dizzy. On Sunday, we packed up, and Jack and I tagged along with my parent's to their house. And... here we are!

I'm thankful for the blessing I was able to receive, and know that that helped me recover quicker than normal. I'm also blessed that the baby is still healthy, and to have this time with my family this week. Being sick sucks, but I have so many other things to be thankful for at the same time! I just hope Jack doesn't get sick...

11 comments:

Melinda said...

Poor Toni! You really should call me in times like this so that I can bring you lunch, or breakfast, or dinner, whatever you need! Ugh! I can't imagine what it's like to feel completely crappy and have Jack running around and then have the power go out! SUPER FUN! I hope you enjoy CO, get some quality family time in. Call me when you're home. Enjoy the trip!

Weston and Karen said...

Wow you have really been through it with this pregnancy. I feel so bad for everything you've been dealing with. Hopefully your mom can make everything better. That's usually what they're best at!

Ryan and Cecily said...

Oh Toni! What an ordeal!! I'm glad you're feeling much better now and that Jack isn't sick (cross my fingers!). I'm sorry you had to go through all of that! It's a good thing you had a really good nurse. I hope you feel strong soon. love ya!

Clayton & Amber said...

Doug gave us some details at church--and after reading this post I want to cry. I'm so sorry. I'm glad they finally helped you out...or did they?! Pregnancy takes a bad toll on you! You and Doug must be so tired. I hope you are feeling better and that Jack is healthy and happy running around CO. We miss you guys. Come back soon.

Kakes said...

Holy cow! You poor thing. I am glad you are feeling better. I hope you are having fun being with your family. I am so thankful for blessings too. :)

Christine said...

If you EVER need me to watch Jack PLEASE call me. We would love to have that little cutie over anytime!

McBride Family said...

Toni! I had no idea you were so sick! I feel out of the loop! ha ha ha. How's the rash been? I hope you have so much fun visiting your family. Give Jack a hug for me. Love you guys!

Kristy E.B. said...

Hey Toni! It's fun to see what you've been up to (not that you seem to be having fun at the moment) but I hadn't even heard you had a baby boy, so it's fun to catch up on your life. I'm excited you're having another one too, and hope everything gets better with your pregnancy! Talk to you later!

Cee Cee said...

Poor baby!!! I am so, so, so sorry! There's nothing worse than having the barfs...NOTHING!!! Hope you are back to full health now. Glad you get a little vacation too:)

P.S. Thanks for publicly mentioning my barf video on your blog:D

Christy said...

That totally exlains why we couldn't hang out on Thursday. I didn't realize you were THAT sick. I'm sorry. No fun at all. I'm glad you still went to Colorado.

Ryan and Cecily said...

Toni, I can't wait to see what the sex of your baby is!!