Saturday, March 06, 2010

BIG NEWS

NO, I'm not pregnant again... thank goodness! But we still have some big news that I'm sure most of you already know about. It all started with our neighbor who used to work here:
He was kind enough to put a good word in for Doug (thanks again, Matt and Raynie!). A couple weeks later, they set up a phone interview with Doug. Doug passed the phone interview, and they wanted him to come down for a face-to-face interview just a few days later. I was able to take a couple days off of work and go with him. We left the boys at grandma Nelson's Wednesday and started down toward Phoenix. We decided to stay in Las Vegas Wednesday night at the Hard Rock Hotel. Our room was SO nice! Unfortunately, the one thing we thought we packed (but didn't) was our camera, so these pics from Doug's iphone will have to do.
We headed to my friend Ashley's house on Thursday, who lives in Surprise, and we stayed with them Thursday and Friday. I haven't seen her since college in 2002, so it was fun to catch up!
Here's a picture she posted on her own blog of a bunch of us back in the day. That's her with the long, dark curly hair in the light blue shirt (I still LOVE your hair, Ash!), and I'm standing next to her. Can you believe this was like 7 years ago?! Time sure does fly. Good times, Ashley! Thanks so much for the photo!
Doug's interview was Thursday afternoon, and he found out Friday afternoon that...
HE GOT THE JOB!
He'll be working there as an enrollment counselor, and will be able to go to school there for his MBA for free! I'll also be able to go to school for free there, so we'll be very busy college students!

So we spent Friday trying to find a place to rent so we could move down in time for Doug to start work on April 5th, but were unsuccessful. So he'll have to head back down there a week from this Sunday to find us a place then. We were with Ashley again on Friday night, then left Saturday to go back to Las Vegas to stay at a different hotel this time called South Point. I was pretty disappointed with this one as they gave us a room with 2 queens, and didn't even tell us this when we checked in. I called down immediately to tell them that this wasn't what I reserved online, and they just said, "We don't have any kings left." Well, had I known that, I would have stayed somewhere else! It was still decent, I guess. They had a bowling alley inside the hotel! I haven't been bowling in years, and it showed. Doug scored like 114, and I'm pretty sure I was around 60-something. Here I am bowling one of my many gutter balls.

We had dinner at a prime rib place inside the hotel that was less than $20 for each of us, and free dessert! The prime rib was amazing, too! The portions were so huge that we were only able to eat about half of our dessert.
After dinner, we got on our suits and went down into their hot tub and just talked for awhile. What a nice break! On our way home, we were caught in traffic going through the hoover dam. I guess they're building a "through" road so that you don't have to go down into it anymore. Here's a cool pic of them building it.So I put my 2 weeks in at work on Monday, and my last day is March 13th. Doug leaves March 14th to go find us a place, and we plan on moving the last weekend in March. Wish us luck! We're going to need it. New job, new lifestyle, new state, new climate, NEW LIFE!

20 comments:

The Bluths said...

It was so nice to see you! I hope you find some place good to live. It you need (or Doug) to stay here again when looking, just let us know!

Karen said...

wow, how exciting and so fun you got to go with him. I hope all goes well and good luck packing with two little one's. yikes! Hope the move goes well.

Cecily said...

Toni, I'm so happy for you guys, but I'm sooo going to miss you. :( I'm really sad cause I'm selfish I guess!

I'm so glad Doug got this job. It sounds so perfect with the free MBA, and free classes for you too. PLUS, you get to move out of Utah!!

Love you tons...let us know how we can help. We'll be gone one of these weekends, but I can come over and help in the days with anything, ok??

Melissa Rees said...

So happy/sad for you!! I hope you like AZ as much as Terry did! We are definetly coming to visit. We will take you to our favorite restaraunts!!

The Monahan's said...

Wow! I'm so happy for you guys! Lucky you, getting out of Utah, but I can't believe we never got a chance to get together and now your moving. Oh well, we can always try to meet up again in CO. Anyways, YAY for you and Doug!

Cee Cee said...

Congratulations! Sounds like it's gonna be a busy month..but such a neat new adventure! Good luck with all your to-do's...but keep us posted on your progress via the blog!

Sincerely, Raynie said...

Oh, just thinking about it makes me want to move back to good ol' AZ bad. Who knows maybe we'll be neighbors again someday :) I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we have talked it up! lol Let us know how everything goes!!! Good luck!

Melissa Rees said...

We lived in Glendale, which is about 40 minutes from Gilbert. The Gilbert/Mesa is where the temple is so there are lots of LDS people there, which will be nice for you! I am having a c-section tomorrow morning and I'm so excited to be done with this pregnancy! I will try to post pictures ASAP

Janaca said...

Wow! Definitely some big changes. That's going to be great for you guys though! I hope all goes well and that you can find a place to stay. Good luck moving and everything!!

Kateka said...

This so great. Isn't it amazing how things play out in life? One year ago I doubt you planned on moving out of the state! I am so happy for you both, especially with the free education. What a blessing! I am going to miss you so bad. THANK HEAVENS for blogs.

Anonymous said...

We're heading there too! How fun, and congratulations on the new job. What a blessing!

Heidi said...

AWESOME! JEALOUS! SAD YOU'LL BE FAR AWAY! That is great news. We are thrilled for you guys. It will be a new adventure that I am sure you will treasure forever. congrats Doug!

Nicole said...

Congratulations! What fun place to move to!

Heidi Breitling said...

Good luck. I'm sad but excited for you both. Many fun new things for you guys. Good luck! You will be missed much here!

Melinda said...

Congrats! Sounds like you guys had a nice little mini-vaca. I am so happy for you but so sad for all us Utah folk who will miss you! You will have to let me know when you come to visit Doug's family so I can take you to lunch!!

Britney Anglesey said...

wow! that is so exciting! good luck and what are you guys doing your degrees in? how fun. let me know if you need help with anything. we'll miss you! brit :o)

Maria said...

That is so awesome! You will love AZ. It is so beautiful and warm, warm, warm! I'm so happy for Doug getting a job and happy for both of you getting free tuition!

Amber said...

I LOVE AZ. We are so happy for you guys and it looks like you had a great trip without the boys. You deserved it! So fun. We'll miss you :) And so will the house :)

Jessica said...

Best of luck to your family on the new adventures! I hope Doug hit the road before the storm hit. It was great getting to chat with you for a bit at work, this last round. You're a great person, mom and friend! Keep in touch!

God Bless,
Jessica

Ashley Dickman said...

congrats! so excited for y'all's new adventure!