Saturday, November 27, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving! This was Doug's and my first year where we didn't have any family around to share the holiday with. I was sad about this, but also excited to prove to myself that I could make a yummy Thanksgiving meal, even without help! We didn't have the variety of food like we do at family's house, but I thought it was still pretty dang good. And I'm a loser and took pictures of all my food at my first Thanksgiving as a hostess:

Mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce

Turkey gravy, made with real drippings!

My grandma Harris used to make the BEST rolls ever... orange rolls! I have the recipe on Facebook, if you want it. They're seriously SO good! We've been having the leftover ones for breakfast.

I'm usually not a fan of sweet potatoes, but I know Doug really likes them. I made him these candied sweet potatoes just for the occasion. And I actually liked them! Amazing what you can find on the internet.

I didn't get a picture of my turkey right out of the oven (I was too busy scrambling to put everything together!) Here it is on my beloved bone china.

Lincoln saw me with the camera out, and goes, "Cheese!" Had to take a picture.

And then Jack followed suit with his, "Cheese!"

I wanted to make a pumpkin pie (Doug's favorite,) a banana cream pie (my favorite,) and a chocolate pie (one that I thought the boys would like.) Since three pies is a lot all at once for us, I made the banana cream pie last week. It was gone in 2 or 3 days. But out of fairness, I did give a quarter of it to my neighbor. I made pumpkin pie and chocolate pie for the desserts on Thanksgiving, thinking the boys would like the chocolate pie. I was wrong. I don't think they ate a THING for dinner OR dessert. I only got a picture of the pumpkin pie, and I can't figure out how to turn it.

Earlier this week, I broke out the stockings

And my nativity that took me a couple years to accumulate

This is Lincoln seeing the tree for the first time, right after naps today. See the white dust or something on my shirt? Yeah, didn't even know it was there until I saw it in this picture. Ahh, the life of a mom.

Here's our awesome tree all put together and squished into our tiny place!

I went to wash Lincoln's bedding a month or so ago, and noticed that all the corners on it were yellowing. It turns out that his comfort with this blanket is to put the corners of it in his mouth, and suck on it. I try to wash it once a week, but it still stays that yellowish-gray color! I caught a quick shot of him putting it in his mouth.

Here he is admiring the tree before bedtime.
I LOVE this time of year and breaking out the Christmas music. Bring on the holiday spirit!

6 comments:

Eliza Brock said...

Looks like you guys had a great meal!! I love the nativity set. Have you tried oxy clean for the blanket? You can just soak the corners. Just an idea, not sure it will work or not. Miss you guys!

Melissa Rees said...

You rock!! We did Thanksgiving with some friends when we lived there. It was fun, but not quite the same without family! can't wait to see you at Christmas!!

Janaca said...

Wow look at you go! That's so awesome you did all that yummy food yourself. I've never done a Thanksgiving myself either since we've always been close to family. We put up our Christmas the day after Thanksgiving and my boys are constantly in there staring at it. So cute!

The Monahan's said...

I am dying to get a chance to prove my cooking skills and prepare a thanksgiving feast, but am to shy to ask my mother in law for the oppurtunity. Maybe one of these years. Lexi has some weird soothing things she does with her blanket too. Yay for Christmas season!

Kateka said...

Yes, for sure! Bring it on!

Toni, I am totally impressed with your home made meal. I could totally see myself being like, "Marie Calendar's it is..." but I bet it meant a lot to your boys (or at least Doug) that you made the effort to have a REAL Thanksgiving even without extended family around. Nicely done. :)

Nicole said...

I am impressed! I have hosted Thanksgiving once, but I had help and it was a lot of work! Everything looks so great and cozy!