Tuesday, October 11, 2011

September Update

I guess I get the bad blogger award, since it has been like 2 months since our last post. I can say that the first 3 weeks after my last post, a friend of a friend was fixing our computer again, since it wasn't fixed the correct way the first time. And he says these minor changes won't take long, but they end up taking FOREVER! Granted, he fixed it for free, but the last time he had it, we were down a computer for about 5 weeks. Let's just hope this desktop doesn't give us anymore trouble for a long time!

My dad flew down here to meet his brothers in Casa Grande over Labor Day weekend. My Uncle Bob, Uncle Danny and him drove to our house for a quick visit one day while they were here. It was great seeing family, even if only for a little bit!
See the sweat on Jack's head in this picture? Yup, still waiting for the days to cool off here! We had some highs in the 70's last week, but we're now back up hovering around 100. It should cool off anytime! And at least the nights are cooling off, finally.

Lincoln has enjoyed coloring lately. He was giving me the cheesiest smiles when he was coloring these pictures!

We have all been really sick the last couple weeks! Here's an update on everyone:
Doug's still working his 7-4 shift, and is home at 4:30 every day! Jack made us all sick, and Doug just got over the worst of it. He stayed home from church Sunday and work yesterday due to a horrible cough. He's lucky that that's the most exciting part of his update.

Jack started preschool at the end of August, and really looks forward to those social days. He goes on Monday and Wednesday mornings from 9:30-12, and his teacher lives on an acre of land that includes a trampoline, playground, and farm animals like chickens and goats. They've even had a llama recently! He knows a lot of the stuff they're teaching already, but it's so good for him to get some interaction with kids his age. I know he gets so bored at home now! So far, he has brought two different colds/flu bugs home with him. The first one wasn't too bad, but this second one has been torture! I thought he was losing it about a week after he got it, but then 10 days into it, it turned into his first ear infection. I had to take him to an urgent care-type place on a Sunday, and it was breaking my heart to hear how much pain he was in from it. After 2 days on Amoxicillin, we found out he was allergic to it, and had to switch to something else. He's finally fully recovered!

Lincoln is learning new, fun words every day! Well, mostly fun words. The tantrums get old quick, and he has more attitude saying the word, "NO!" than anyone I've ever heard. He's got that word down! He picked up Jack's cold in a matter of days, and it turned into croup. I took him in on a Monday, and they gave him a 3-day steroid. The third day, his symptoms remained unchanged, and he had a fever. I called the pediatrician, and they said he needed to go to the ER. Awesome. It was fun to see one of my Outback coworkers as the person that did his x-rays! But 2 hours later, we found out that all they did for him (and all he needed) was a stronger steroid. I asked, "What do we do if nothing changes?" I was reassured that this would be the cure. Well... Friday, he had a fever of 100, still that hacking cough, but the wheezing was gone. I saw the pediatrician that afternoon, and his fever was up to 101. They gave him an antibiotic, we came home and I headed off to work. Doug called me at 7 and said his fever was up to 103 a little while ago, and now it was up to 104. And it was just barely time to give him more Tylenol! I told him to call the pediatrician on call, and if he couldn't get through to anyone, to take him back to the ER. Luckily, they just said to piggy back Tylenol and Ibuprofen. I got off work, we did that, and he was fine the next morning. His cough is pretty much gone now. But whew! He got the worst of it!
Lincoln enjoys watching Caillou ("Ti-U") and Megamind ("Ma-Mind"). Any chance he has of being outside, he jumps at the opportunity! He has also been enjoying the Geo Trax train set that we bought from my sister. And he has recently learned all his colors!

I have had all sorts of health issues! Probably soon after my last post, I got a horrible rash from a lotion I used. This rash has appeared before from a different lotion. I saw an allergist for this rash, and also from a different rash I finally pinned to an antibiotic called Bactrim, which I have been taking off and on this year for recurring bladder infections. My family doctor sent me to the allergist who has done some patch testing, and also told me not to take sulfa drugs (aka Bactrim) anymore, as I have an allergy to them. This Bactrim rash appears as small spots that look like mosquito bites. In fact, the first time it appeared, I thought I had been attacked in my sleep! These spots would appear in the exact same places each time, and would be accompanied by mouth sores. Good times.
Because of these rashes, my doctor ordered some blood tests, and told me that I had an elevated ANA level, and needed to see a rheumatologist. That's it. No details, even when I asked what that meant, and what this doctor sees patients for. After doing a quick research on WebMD, I found out that this elevated ANA level is an indication of lupus. I was freaked out, and couldn't see the rheumatologist for like 2 weeks! Plus they called me on a Friday afternoon after 4 PM, so I had to wait all weekend to speak to anyone about it. They did more tests, and found that not only do I have an elevated ANA level, but an elevated anti-DNA level. These both indicate lupus, but they said I don't have lupus... at this time, anyway. They want to do more tests to see what's going on with this, and I see a doctor Thursday about this.
So, since the last time I posted, I've had a bladder infection, 2 rashes, 2 sinus infections, and have had to see an allergist and rheumatologist (both of which I have to see again.) Good times! Hopefully we'll have a better rest of the year with our health!


Cecily said...

I'm so glad you don't have lupus! That is a big scare. Also, I'm glad they've figured out what you're allergic to! What a month. I love the pics of Jack & Lincoln. They're so cute.

Melissa Rees said...

Being sick sucks!! Hopefully it's nothing serious. The boys are getting so big!

Eliza Brock said...

Hope you guys start feeling better soon. We are now in the middle of the passing around of the junk. No fun. Hope you have good insurance :) Love ya!!

Kateka said...

Glad your alive! Holy cow, since we are twins in our bladders I am reading this thinking, "Oh my gosh, maybe I HAVE LUPUS!!" I hope everything is okay. Please keep me posted. Will pray for you!

Amber said...

Oh Toni! That is quite the month! At least you manage to post more than once a year like me :) I hope they get to the bottom of everything without dragging you through test after test. I'm so sorry to hear how sick you've all been. We've had the sinus and ear infections around our house this past month, but now I feel lame that I even complained! GET BETTER YOU GUYS! WE MISS YOU!